The offical online newsletter of the Parish of St. Brelade, Jersey
Labaguette Story Image
Archive
News Stories
Parish Plot uncovered
Entente Florale
Waitrose store to open
Message from Connétable
Transformation Plans
Objection on the horizon
Arise Sir Bob
Not all good news
A la carte!
Better bus service
Bullied at work?
Schooner’s homecoming
Yacht re-discovered
WI ladies on the pick up
Murray's 10cc Challenge
1st Petanque Intern'l
'Battle' prizes, again!
Floral Garden Comp.
Consumer Issues
St. Aubin Festival
Vorsprung Durch ....
Schooner’s homecoming
Westward replica ‘Eleonora’ arrives to rapturous welcome
by Ian Le Sueur

In July the schooner Eleonora sailed into Jersey to a rapturous welcome by a large flotilla of over 40 local boats of all sizes.

The yacht's arrival in the island was considered to be a home coming, as she is an exact replica of the schooner 'Westward' which was owned and raced by Jersey born Thomas Benjamin Frederick (T. B.) Davis from 1924 until his death in 1942. Davis's will stipulated that unless a new owner with sufficient means to maintain her could be found, then the schooner was to be scuttled.

Sadly this order was carried out on 15 July 1947, when Westward, stripped of all fixtures, fittings and equipment was towed out to the Hurd Deep off of Alderney and sunk. A number of items were rescued from the yacht before her demise and still exist in Jersey today, the most notable being her spinnaker pole which serves as a flagpole in Howard Davis Park, St Helier. The Park was bequeathed to the island by Davis in 1930 in memory of his youngest son who died of his wounds during the Battle of the Somme in 1916.

Nearly 63 years to the day after the scuttling of the Westward, Eleonora sailed into St Helier harbour to a the delight of the locals who lined the shoreline from Corbiere Lighthouse to Noirmont point to watch the flotilla pass by.

On arrival in St Aubin's Bay, she was lead into the harbour by the Howard D, the first motorised life boat to be stationed in Jersey, which was bought by Davis for the island in 1936 and named once again after his son.

The house 'Westward', overlooking St Brelade's Bay, named after the schooner and built for T.B's daughters, Marguerite and Minnie, is soon to be demolished to make way for a development of three new houses.

Picture credit:© Kandidprints
This website is sponsored by
New Dyn
Jacksons
Harbour View
Caroline Curtains
Offshore Internet Services Limited
Vins Direct
Advertise here